Hey, a big hello from Portland, Oregon! Welcome to another episode of B2B Marketing & More. I have an exceptional guest today, incredibly special. Shelley Wagner.
Shelly is the Chief of Staff for Intel’s Client Security Division and a certified coach from the very prestigious Systematic Coaching Program. She’s been a coach for more than 15 years, a passionate and collaborative change agent with extensive experience leading organizations using value-centered leadership and coach-based management.
Today we talk about coaching, mentoring, and how can people decide which one they need.
In this episode:
- Why are there so many different explanations of a coach and coaching?
- What is a definition of a coach?
- How is a coach different from a mentor?
- Where do people who advocate or sponsor fit in?
- How to approach someone to ask for mentorship?
- In what ways can people define or discover if they need a coach or if they need a mentor?
- What is an “informal” mentor?
- What happens if a manager suggests coaching on mentorship?
- How can someone become a mentor or a certified coach?
- What is an excellent way to find a great mentor?
- What are some career tips for marketers who would like to explore a career in coaching or becoming mentors?
Quotes from the episode:
“When talking about coaching versus mentoring, there are some similarities, but there are some differences. A mentor is like a wise advisor. Often, they’re almost always more experienced than you because they’re imparting their knowledge to you. They support and encourage.”
“When you think of your development, what’s my learning edge or what I want to work on, a coach is someone specifically who is going to gauge a coaching objective, which is going to be goal-oriented.”
Enjoy the podcast? Subscribe to the show on your favorite podcast platform, leave a 5-star review and subscribe to Apple Podcasts.
If you prefer watching a video, I also have a YouTube Channel; check it out and subscribe.
If you want to chat, reach out to any social media channels or email me firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also join my Facebook community: Build Your Marketing Skills to Get Ahead. When you join, you get a free Starbucks on me. You can go to the Announcement tab and click on the barcode of the gift card.
Are you contemplating finding a coach or mentor, perhaps developing or changing your career? Check out some of my previous podcast episodes and blog posts.